Are you Lung Ha Theatre Company's next Chair?
Multi award-winning Lung Ha Theatre Company, the leading theatre Company in Scotland for people with a learning disability, is looking to appoint a dynamic Chair to build on the Company’s success to date and help steer it towards its future goals. They will work alongside the rest of the Board and support the Lung Ha Theatre Company staff and members to continue to raise the profile of the organisation whilst ensuring that an effective business strategy and financial safeguards are in place for the Company. The Chair will be an Ambassador for the Company. The Chair volunteers their time to the charity and the role is unpaid.
Successful candidate will have:
- a proven interest in the sector in which Lung Ha Theatre Company works;
- previous board or committee experience;
- ability to network;
- ability to think strategically;
- excellent communication skills;
- knowledge of Scottish theatre (very welcome although not entirely essential).
The Chair will be expected to:
- Meet legal duties and responsibilities under the 2005 Act;
- Attend and chair Board meetings in the centre of Edinburgh, (approximately four times per year); and attend periodic planning / strategic and organisational development sessions;
- Liaise with Board members and staff in setting agendas for Board meetings;
- To lead in the provision of oversight in terms of the following:
- Organisational mission statement and overall strategy;
- Appointing and overseeing the performance of the Artistic Director and the Company Manager;
- Managing governance processes;
- Provide insight, wisdom and judgement;
- Monitor overall organisational performance and being accountable.
- Be an ambassador for the Company;
- Work with other Board members, the Company Manager and Artistic Director, to ensure an effective business strategy and financial safeguards are in place to support the Company;
- Attend meetings as required with Creative Scotland, the City of Edinburgh Council, and Arts & Business Scotland along with other key partners, to include potential investors in the Company’s work;
- Work closely with LHTC staff members on an ongoing basis, providing advice and support as required;
- Attend the Company’s performances, events and activities.
- At all times to work to raise the profile of Lung Ha Theatre Company;
- To play an active role in the Company seeking out, and working with, new partners and potential investors;
In a small, but essential and life-changing organisation, the Board Chair has a vital and dynamic role in guiding, driving and supporting the company as it moves forward. The Chair has the opportunity to work with one of the leading creative organisations working with people with a learning disability in Scotland and such work is not only rewarding but also vital to the company’s ongoing success; and vital in ensuring its voice, and the voice of its performers continues to be heard.
How to apply and contact details:
If you would like to be considered for Chair of Lung Ha Theatre Company please send:
- A cover letter outlining your interest in the position, including any relevant experience and specific skills that you could bring to the role.
- Details of two people who may be asked to act as referees for you.
Applications should be addressed to: The Chair of the Lung Ha Theatre Company Board at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Lung Ha Theatre Company, 30b Grindlay Street, Edinburgh, EH3 9AX.
Applicants wanting an informal conversation about joining the Board are encouraged to contact the Company at email@example.com.
Deadline for applications is 5pm on 9 August.
Lung Ha Theatre Company is a company limited by guarantee:
Company Number: SC1321622
Charity Number: SCO17635